Data Management and Sharing Online Training
Online Training Courses
**** Public module (Don’t require BlackBoard login to access) ****
Many research projects depend on the development of scripts or other software to collect data, perform analyses or simulations, and visualize results. Working in a way that makes it easier for your future self and others to understand and re-use your code means that more time can be dedicated to the research itself, rather than troubleshooting hard-to-understand code, resulting in more effective research. In addition, by following some simple best practices around code sharing, the visibility and impact of your research can be increased. In this introductory session, you will:
- learn about best practices for writing, documenting (Documentation), and organizing code (Organization & Automation),
- understand the benefits of using version control (Version Control & Quality Assurance),
- learn about how code can be linked to research results and why (Context & Credit),
- understand why it is important to make your code publishable and citable and how to do so (Context & Credit),
- learn about intellectual property issues (Licensing),
- learn about how and why your software can be preserved over time (Archiving).
**** Download the DMP Questionnaire first before you begin this course ****
Grant proposals for a growing number of funders require data management plans, including the National Science Foundation. Developing a competitive data management plan requires understanding and effectively addressing the many aspects of research data management that funders and reviewers emphasize (e.g., plans for research data security, sharing, and documentation). Join Data Management Services online for a training session on preparing data management plans. During this one-hour online training, we will cover the research data questions one should answer in creating an effective, competitive plan. The following topics will be covered in our training modules.
- Introduction to Data Management Planning (11 mins)
- How to Use the DMP Questionnaire (8 mins)
- Data Products (3 mins)
- Documentation and Metadata (6 mins)
- Storage and Backup (7 mins)
- Security and Access Control (3 mins)
- Long-term Preservation (4 mins)
- Why (Not) Share Data? (6 mins)
- Elements for Sharing (7 mins)
- Resources for Writing a DMP (4 mins)
How to Access Online Training via BlackBoard?
JHU Data Management Services uses BlackBoard to manage our online training courses. You will need to log into BlackBoard system first in order to access course materials, unless it is marked as a public module.
If you are affiliated with JHU and have a JHED login ID and password, please follow the instruction below to enroll and view these courses:
If you are an external user, please use the following steps to log in Blackboard as a guest:
Step1: Link to Blackboard log in page.
Step2: Click on the ‘Open Non JHED login’ link, and then enter these credentials in order to login:
Once you have logged in, select a training course that you want to take from the list below and you will be led to a Course Overview page.
Contact us if you have any trouble logging in/viewing our online courses.